Convenience is a priority for modern customers. As such, visitors and Tampa residents love using rideshare services like Uber and Lyft for their convenience, customer service, and user-friendliness. Uber is so busy they generate an estimated $10 billion in revenue every year. With Uber’s rapid growth in the past few years, Uber drivers are ever-present on Tampa’s roadways.
The increasing demand for Uber drivers has prompted the company to offer incentives like bonuses and increased pay for new drivers. Customers are paying more and more for Uber’s door-to-door services. As the third largest city in Florida, the need for transportation in Tampa is prominent.
The downside to this rapid growth of Uber means there are more drivers on the road prone to getting in accidents. Just in Hillsborough County, there are about 30,000 motor vehicle collisions a year. In 2021, 255 people died in a Hillsborough County traffic fatality.
Uber drivers are on the road for long periods, making their likelihood of getting in an accident higher than the average driver. If you sustained injuries in a Tampa Uber car accident, you might need professional legal help. A Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney can help you understand your rights and if you are eligible to seek damage compensation.
Is Uber Available in Tampa?
Yes. Uber was started by two friends who couldn’t find a cab while traveling in France. After some brainstorming, they came up with the idea to create an app that allows people to find and share rides. In 2010, the first Uber took a passenger for a ride in San Francisco.
Since then, the business has expanded all across the country and internationally. However, Uber did not have the greatest start in Tampa. Uber began offering its ride and rideshare services in Tampa in 2014. They boasted about cheaper fares than traditional taxicabs, encouraging customers to quickly get on board.
However, Hillsborough County Public Transportation Commission did not readily embrace the company. They started out giving drivers tickets for lack of proper insurance and licensing required to offer profitable transportation services. Uber argued that their services did not fall under their jurisdiction and continued to operate.
Despite Uber’s rocky start in Tampa, they now operate without issues. However, if another motorist or pedestrian gets injured by an Uber driver, who is responsible? The driver or Uber? Such accident cases present complex legal issues, so it’s best to consult an experienced Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney.
How Do Tampa Uber Accidents Happen?
One of the most attractive features of Uber is that they help combat traffic congestion through ridesharing. But that’s not always the case. Studies suggest that traffic congestion increases in areas with rideshare services. Furthermore, since people use Uber as an alternative to public transportation, walking, or bicycling, Uber often increases traffic volume. When traffic congestion increases, the likelihood of accidents also increases.
Uber accidents usually occur in one of the following ways:
- The uber driver causes an accident that injures a passenger.
- The uber driver causes an accident that causes harm to the occupants of another vehicle.
- An uber driver can injure a pedestrian or bicycle rider.
- An uber driver who causes an accident that results in fatalities.
If you were injured in any of these instances, including a Tampa Uber, discuss your legal options with a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney. You may be eligible to seek recovery for your losses and suffering.
Specific Dangers For Tampa Uber Drivers and Passengers
Uber has some specific dangers due to the nature of its design and business model. For example, Uber rides are popular at night when driving is inherently more dangerous due to less visibility and other factors. According to the National Safety Council, nightie driving only accounts for 25% of driving, but over 50% of accidents occur at night. Statistically speaking, the risk of fatal crashes is the highest on Saturday nights, which is Uber’s busiest night.
Since prime work hours for Uber drivers are Friday and Saturday nights, they have increased chances of accidents due to the:
- Compromised vision at night
- fatigue – drivers are more likely to be tired at night due to natural circadian rhythms or after a full day of driving.
- Alcohol impairment – drunk drivers are more likely to be on the road at night.
Furthermore, people often use Uber during heavy traffic hours, resulting in Uber covering more mileage and drivers spending more time behind the wheel. This inevitably increases the chances of an accident. In a city like Tampa, one of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas in the country, more time spent on the road significantly increases the odds of a traffic accident.
If you were injured in a Uber accident, regardless of the time of day, a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney could help you find out who is responsible. A Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney can also investigate the case to prove the liable party’s negligence.
Common Injuries in Tampa Uber Accidents
A Tampa Uber accident can cause any of the following injuries and more:
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- Internal injuries like bleeding or organ damage
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
If you have any of the above injuries, a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney may be able to help you get reimbursement for your medical expenses, pain, and suffering.
Common Questions People Ask Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorneys
If you were injured in a Tampa Uber accident, you’re probably stuck dishing out medical expenses and missing work from your injuries. It can be overwhelming to stay on top of the bills with these unexpected costs and injuries. That’s why you should work with a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney.
A skilled Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney can be your support and guidance during these hard times. While money can’t make your injuries disappear, it will help you recover financially and take some stress away. Here are some answers from a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney to frequently asked questions about Uber car accidents.
How Do I Get Compensation for a Tampa Uber Car Accident?
If you were injured in a Tampa Uber car accident, you could file a personal injury claim. By enlisting help from a skilled Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney, you won’t miss any damages you qualify to recover. Damage compensation may include medical expenses and coverage for pain and suffering, including mental and emotional impacts.
Do I Have a Time Limit to File a Uber Car Accident Claim in Tampa?
Yes, generally, the time limit is four years from the accident. However, there are some exceptions to the statute of limitations. To be safe, get help from a knowledgeable Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney. Missing the deadline means potentially forfeiting your chance to recover rightful compensation.
What Damages Can I Seek in a Tampa Uber Car Accident Claim?
Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorneys protect injury victims. They help injury victims identify and claim for all damages due to the accident. That includes economic and non-economic damages.
If you have grounds for a Tampa personal injury claim, Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney will guide you through the legal process to recover damages. Recovering damages means getting financial reimbursement for the harm you sustained. If your Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney cannot negotiate a fair settlement with insurance companies, they may take your case to Tampa’s civil court for a jury to decide on a payment.
Damages for Tampa injury victims include any expenses and inconveniences as a result of the accident. If your quality of life was diminished by your accident injuries, that’s damage for which you can seek recovery.
Other examples of Tampa Uber car accident damages include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment in life
- Loss of consortium
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Permanent disability and any related expenses
Does Uber Really Have $1 Million in Insurance Coverage?
Yes, but coverage depends on the driver’s status at the time of the accident. There are different levels of insurance and protocols depending on whether the driver was transporting passengers or driving for personal reasons.
According to Uber’s website:
- If the driver’s app is off and they are making a personal trip, Uber insurance does not cover them. Any injuries the driver caused must get coverage through the driver’s insurance.
- If the driver has the Uber app turned on and is awaiting a ride request while the accident occurs, their driver’s insurance is the primary source of coverage. If the driver does not have sufficient coverage, Uber will cover the following:
- Up to 50,000 in bodily injury coverage and Up to $100,000 for each accident
- Up to $25,000 in property damage per accident
- If the driver is transporting a passenger (complete a trip and the app is on) or on the way to retrieve a passenger, then their $1 million policy takes effect. The policy would cover bodily injury liability and property damage.
How Much Is a Tampa Uber Car Accident Claim Worth?
Every Uber car accident is unique, and no two accidents happen exactly the same way. Only an experienced Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney can assess your case to calculate a fair and accurate claim value. That said, every case will have a different value depending on its unique circumstances.
There are many factors that affect your Tampa Uber car accident claim value, including, but not limited to:
- The at-fault party’s insurance policy limit
- The severity of your injuries
- The value of your lost earnings and earning capacity
- What other losses you suffered
- To what extent your life has been affected by accident-related injuries
- How patient you are, as a generous settlement offer requires negotiation and can take time to reach.
Is It Worth It to Hire a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney?
Yes. Here is what you can expect a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney to do for you:
- Start with an initial, no-obligation free consultation
- Identify all liable parties and which insurance companies you can pursue for compensation
- Determine the maximum value for your Tampa Uber car accident claim
- Negotiate with the other party’s insurance and legal counsel
- Collect evidence to build a strong case in your favor
- Guide you through the legal process
- Ensure you file all paperwork and filing on time
- Litigation services through representing you in court
- Assist you in collecting your final damage award or settlement
Contact a Tampa Uber Car Accident Attorney Today
Tampa uber car accident victims should not have to suffer alone. If you suffered severe or permanent injuries, you may have overwhelming medical bills. The good news is that you may qualify for a higher settlement.
If you were injured in a Florida Uber accident, make sure you get the best legal professionals possible to protect your rights.
Our Florida personal injury lawyers have won over $150 million for verdicts and settlements for clients. That’s because we commit and devote ourselves tirelessly until we get a favorable outcome for the client. We will help you get the maximum compensation possible for everything you’ve been through.
Contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation.