It’s almost unimaginable to think of another person’s negligence in killing your loved one. When this happens, it may be considered a wrongful death. The results for you and your family are probably devastating and leave you with life-long consequences.
The unexpected death of a loved one can cause undue emotional and financial hardships for surviving family members. Nothing can compare to trauma from the death of a loved one. And after losing a loved one, taking legal action may feel like a low priority, but it’s important to do it. A Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney will help you obtain financial relief to help you and your family during these trying times.
If you believe your loved one was killed due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, please contact our Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorneys for a free case review. We know that no amount of money can bring your loved one back, but it can alleviate you, so you have time and space to grieve.
Proudly Serving Citrus Park
What is a Wrongful Death in Citrus Park?
A wrongful death is when someone’s life is taken before they are naturally expected to pass. If the death also caused financial burdens on the remaining family members or dependents of the deceased, it may qualify as a wrongful death.
Rather than penalizing the party responsible, a wrongful death claim aims to pay the family members for their losses. A wrongful death claim is a civil case, not a criminal case.
You and your family may have grounds for a Citrus Park wrongful death claim if the following conditions apply to you:
- Your loved one died in part or wholly because of the defendant
- The defendant is strictly liable for your loved one’s death (by way of negligence)
- The deceased person left surviving family members
- The surviving family members experienced monetary and other losses due to the death
Pursuing a wrongful death claim may not be advisable if all of these conditions are not satisfied. A Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney can assess your case to help you understand if you have grounds for a wrongful death claim.
Citrus Park’s Wrongful Death Time Limit
Citrus Park law gives family members of a deceased loved one a time limit to file a wrongful death claim. The time limit, or statute of limitations, allows you two years after the death to file a claim. Once the time limit is over, family members can no longer take legal action. That’s why speaking with a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney is crucial as soon as possible.
How Do I Know if I Have a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Claim?
You should consult a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney to determine if you have valid grounds for a wrongful death claim. To establish that a Florida wrongful death claim is applicable, an attorney will need to prove that the defendant failed to meet a level of care to keep the deceased person from harm.
You could file a claim if their reckless or dangerous behavior led to your loved one’s death and consequential damages.
Examples of Florida Wrongful Death Cases
Car Accidents and Motor Vehicle Accidents
Car accidents are one of Citrus Park’s leading causes of wrongful death cases. Fatal car accidents are usually caused by distracted, drunk, or reckless driving. In addition to car accidents, the following often lead to Citrus Park’s wrongful deaths:
- Citrus Park Motorcycle accidents
- Citrus Park Pedestrian accidents
- Citrus Park Bus accidents
- Citrus Park bicycle accidents
Citrus Park property owners have a legal obligation to keep their properties safe. Thus, if a property owner fails to maintain their premises and someone dies from unsafe conditions, they can be held accountable. As long as you can prove the victim sustained fatal injuries due to the property owner’s negligence, you can file a wrongful death claim.
Premises liability wrongful deaths often involve unsafe buildings or building conditions. Other types of premises liability cases that can give rise to a wrongful death claim include:
- Slipping, tripping, or some other deadly fall
- Unsafe construction or building parts (e.g., a collapsing deck or broken railings)
- Falling accidents due to dangerous stairs
- Pool accidents, including drowning deaths
- Diving accidents
- Fires that cause death
- Electrical accidents that cause death
- Fatal dog bites or animal attacks
- Lack of sufficient security, lighting, or employees that led to a fatality
- Intentional acts of recklessness
Violence and Homicide
In cases involving assault that leads to death, criminal charges will also be applicable. For example, if a perpetrator mugs a victim and accidentally kills them in the attack, the surviving family members can file a civil claim for wrongful death. In addition, the perpetrator will face criminal charges brought forth by the government.
Product Liability (Defective Products)
A poorly designed product that causes death can be grounds for a Citrus Park wrongful death claim. In addition, the manufacturer, retailer, distributor, wholesaler, or assembling manufacturer can be liable for a wrongful death caused by defective products.
Negligent supervision claims for wrongful death occur when a child dies due to a negligent caretaker, babysitter, teacher, or staff member. When these entrusted parties fail to provide adequate supervision and a child dies, the parents can file a wrongful death claim.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Citrus Park?
There are various criteria to consider when determining who can claim financial damages in a wrongful death suit. First, what is the relationship to the deceased person? Other essential factors to consider regarding who can file a wrongful death claim and how much they can get are:
- The income of the deceased person
- The total cost of the family losing their financial contribution
- The life expectancy of surviving family members
- The relationship between the deceased and the distributee (generally, the surviving spouse, children, dependent blood relatives, wedlock children, and parents of the deceased can file a claim for wrongful death)
If you’re unsure about your viability to file a wrongful death claim for your loved one, seek professional advice from a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney.
What Damages Can I Seek After a Citrus Park Wrongful Death?
Beneficiaries and survivors of the deceased person might qualify for the following damages in a Citrus Park wrongful death lawsuit:
- Funeral costs
- Burial expenses
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of financial support
- Losses suffered by the spouse
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of services
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of parental guidance
- Damages from any other losses the family members experienced as a result of the death
A Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney can assist you in identifying and claiming all damages you are entitled to.
Why Should I Hire a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney?
This is one of the worst things any human can experience. We understand you want to grieve and get peace of mind, which may be impossible after losing a loved one. However, a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney can help ease the pressure of taking on the responsibilities of your deceased loved one. That will give you more time to be with your family and heal from this tragic loss.
Here are some other ways you can benefit from hiring a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney:
- A Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney will limit mental distractions by handling all legal matters on your behalf
- They will also ensure you meet the time limit to file a wrongful death claim in Florida
- Families to enlist the help of a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney often receive larger financial compensation
- A Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney can advocate for you if you are uncertain about any legal matters
- Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorneys have experience with these cases and know how to get you the best outcome
- You don’t have to face the civil claims process alone during one of the most difficult times of your life
- They have the resources and connections to build a successful case in your favor
Contact a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney Today
Our Florida personal injury attorneys team will work hard so you can be with your loved ones during these critical times. This is when you need an advocate and someone to fight in your corner when you feel like you can’t go on. We are dedicated to seeking justice and fair compensation for family members of wrongful death. Having assistance from a Citrus Park Wrongful Death Attorney can bring clarity and relief during these trying times.
Contact us today for a free initial consultation.